Hm, I was thinking that the issue is that Spark has to use a forked
hive-exec since hive-exec unfortunately includes a bunch of
dependencies it shouldn't. It forked Hive 0.12.0:
http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.spark-project.hive/hive-exec/0.12.0

... and then I was thinking maybe CDH wasn't able to harmonize it. But
5.1 did harmonize this dependency, it appears.
https://repository.cloudera.com/artifactory/cloudera-repos/org/apache/spark/spark-hive_2.10/1.0.0-cdh5.1.0/

Looking back at 5.0.3, which shipped 0.9.0 ... I don't think the Spark
Hive module existed in 0.9.0?
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/branch-0.9/sql/hive So yeah using
it with newer Spark 1.0 code probably means you'd have to build Spark
to pull in the CDH version of hive-exec (or else keep it out the
custom assembly and make sure only the CDH version is on the classpath
at runtime) and hope you don't actually have to shade it like Spark
does to get it to work.

I think support will suggest this 1.0 Hive code is supported and works
in the version that ships 1.0!

(Sorry for extending a thread apparently about CDH but I think the
issue is actually more broadly applicable.)