I’ve put my Spark JAR into HDFS, and specify the SPARK_JAR variable to point to
the HDFS location of the jar.  I’m not using any specialized configuration
files (like spark-env.sh), but rather setting things either by environment
variable per node, passing application arguments to the job, or making a
Zookeeper connection from my job to seed properties.  From there, I can
construct a SparkConf as necessary.

mn