Just a guess.
updateStateByKey has overloaded variants with partitioner as parameter. Can it
help?

-----Original Message-----
From: qihong [mailto:qc...@pivotal.io]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 9:13 PM
To: u...@spark.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: how to setup steady state stream partitions

Thanks for your response. I do have something like:

val inputDStream = ...
val keyedDStream = inputDStream.map(...)  // use sensorId as key val
partitionedDStream = keyedDstream.transform(rdd => rdd.partitionBy(new
MyPartitioner(...)))
val stateDStream = partitionedDStream.updateStateByKey[...](udpateFunction)

The partitionedDStream does have steady partitions, but stateDStream does not
have steady partitions, i.e., in the partition 0 of partitionedDStream, there's
only data for sensors 0 to 999, but the partition 0 of stateDStream contains
data for some sensors from 0 to 999 range, and lot of sensor from other
partitions of partitionedDStream.

I wish the partition 0 of stateDStream only contains the data from the
partition 0 of partitionedDStream, partiton 1 of stateDStream only from
partition 1 of partitionedDStream, and so on. Anyone knows how to implement
that?

Thanks!