Hm, so it is:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/downman.html

I'm sure I've done this before though and thought is was this mechanism. It
must be something custom.

What's the Hadoop jar structure in question then? Is it something special
like a WAR file? I confess I had never heard of this so thought this was
about generic JAR stuff.

Is the question about a lib dir in the Hadoop home dir?