I execute it as follows:

$SPARK_HOME/bin/spark-submit   --master <master url>  --class
org.apache.spark.examples.streaming.HdfsWordCount
target/scala-2.10/spark_stream_examples-assembly-1.0.jar  <hdfsdir>

After I start the job, I add a new test file in hdfsdir. It is a large text
file which I will not be able to copy here. But it  probably has at least
100 distinct words. But the streaming output has only about 5-6 words along
with their counts as follows. I then stop the job after some time.

Time ...

(word1, cnt1)
(word2, cnt2)
(word3, cnt3)