Hello Steve .

1) When you call new SparkConf you should get an object with the default
config values. You can reference the spark configuration and tuning pages
for details on what those are.

2) Yes. Properties set in this configuration will be pushed down to worker
nodes actually executing the spark job. The way this is done is through the
instance of a SparkContext which accepts the SparkConf as a parameter. This
shared config is what will be used by all RDDs and processes spawned as a
function of this context.

E.g. when creating a new RDD with sc.parallelize() or reading a text file
in with sc.textFile() .

I think that to address 3-4 you should reason in terms of the SparkContext.

In short, you shouldn't need to worry about explicitly controlling what is
happening on the slave nodes. Spark should abstract away that layer so that
you can write parallelizable code that the resource manager i.e. YARN
pushes out to your cluster.