There are a few examples where this is the case. Let's take ALS, where the
result is a MatrixFactorizationModel, which is assumed to be big - the
model consists of two matrices, one (users x k) and one (k x products).
These are represented as RDDs.

You can save these RDDs out to disk by doing something like

model.userFeatures.saveAsObjectFile(...) and
model.productFeatures.saveAsObjectFile(...)

to save out to HDFS or Tachyon or S3.

Then, when you want to reload you'd have to instantiate them into a class
of MatrixFactorizationModel. That class is package private to MLlib right
now, so you'd need to copy the logic over to a new class, but that's the
basic idea.

That said - using spark to serve these recommendations on a point-by-point
basis might not be optimal. There's some work going on in the AMPLab to
address this issue.