I suppose it means what it says, that you it can't connect, but that's
strange to be unable to connect to a port on localhost.

What if you "telnet localhost 9999" and type some text? does it show
up in the nc output? if not, it's some other problem locally, like a
firewall, or nc not running, or not actually running all this on one
host, etc.