Indeed. However, I guess the important load and stress is in the processing
of the 3D data (DEM or alike) into geometries/shades/whatever.
Hence you can use spark (geotrellis can be tricky for 3D, poke @lossyrob
for more info) to perform these operations then keep an RDD of only the
resulting geometries.
Those geometries won't probably that heavy, hence it might be possible to
coalesce(1, true) to have to whole thing on one node (or if your driver is
more beefy, do a collect/foreach) to create the index.
You could also create a GeoJSON of the geometries and create the r-tree on
it (not sure about this one).