Well, it's always a good idea to used matched binary versions. Here it
is more acutely necessary. You can use a pre built binary -- if you
use it to compile and also run. Why does it not make sense to publish
artifacts?

Not sure what you mean about core vs assembly, as the assembly
contains all of the modules. You don't literally need the same jar
file.