It seems likely that there is some sort of bug related to the reuse of
array objects that are returned by UDFs.  Can you open a JIRA?

I'll also note that the sql method on HiveContext does run HiveQL
(configured by spark.sql.dialect) and the hql method has been deprecated
since 1.1 (and will probably be removed in 1.3).  The errors are probably
because array and collect set are hive UDFs and thus not available in a
SQLContext.