Yeah, I agree ~ should work. And it could have been [read: probably was]
the fact that one of the EC2 hosts was in my known_hosts (don't know, never
saw an error message, but the behavior is no error message for that state),
which I had fixed later with Pete's patch. But the second execution when
things worked with an absolute path could have worked because the random
hosts that came up on EC2 were never in my known_hosts.