Looking at common/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/conf/HiveConf.java :

METASTORE_CLIENT_CONNECT_RETRY_DELAY("hive.metastore.client.connect.retry.delay",
"1s",
        new TimeValidator(TimeUnit.SECONDS),
        "Number of seconds for the client to wait between consecutive
connection attempts"),

It seems having the 's' suffix is legitimate.