Akhil, that is incorrect.

Spark will list on the given port for Flume to push data into it.
When in local mode, it will listen on localhost:9999
When in some kind of cluster, instead of localhost you will have to give
the hostname of the cluster node where you want Flume to forward the data.
Spark will launch the Flume receiver on that node (assuming the hostname
matching is correct), and list on port 9999, for receiving data from Flume.
So only the configured machine will listen on port 9999.

I suggest trying the other stream. FlumeUtils.createPollingStream. More
details here.
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/streaming-flume-integration.html