It's hard to tell. I have not run this on EC2 but this worked for me:

The only thing that I can think of is that the scheduling mode is set to

   - *Scheduling Mode:* FAIR

val pool: ExecutorService = Executors.newFixedThreadPool(poolSize)
while_loop to get curr_job
     pool.execute(new ReportJob(sqlContext, curr_job, i))

class ReportJob(sqlContext:org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HiveContext,query:
String,id:Int) extends Runnable with Logging {
  def threadId = (Thread.currentThread.getName() + "\t")

  def run() {
    logInfo(s"********************* Running ${threadId} ${id}")
    val startTime = Platform.currentTime
    val hiveQuery=query
    val result_set = sqlContext.sql(hiveQuery)
    result_set.repartition(1)
    result_set.saveAsParquetFile(s"hdfs:///tmp/${id}")
    logInfo(s"********************* DONE ${threadId} ${id} time:
"+(Platform.currentTime-startTime))
  }
}