Great point :) Cui, Here’s a cleaner way than I had before, w/out the use of
spark sql for the mapping:

KafkaUtils.createStream[String, String, StringDecoder, StringDecoder](
  ssc, kafka.kafkaParams, Map("github" -> 5), StorageLevel.MEMORY_ONLY)
  .map{ case (k,v) => JsonParser.parse(v).extract[MonthlyCommits]}
  .saveToCassandra("githubstats","monthly_commits")

HELENA EDELSON
Senior Software Engineer,  DSE Analytics