Thanks Shixiong. I tried it out and it works.

If you're looking at this post, here a few points you may be interested in:

Turns out this is has to do with the difference between methods and
function in scala - something I didn't pay attention to before. If you're
looking at this thread, this may be an interesting post:

http://jim-mcbeath.blogspot.com/2009/05/scala-functions-vs-methods.html

Below is some test code. I added the Thread.sleep because it looks like
Spark notifications happen asynchronously and the main/driver thread wont
wait for the notifications to be complete. I'll look at that further later,
but for now that's my inference, so don't take my word for it yet. Here's
the code:

object TestME {
  def main(args: Array[String]): Unit = {
    val conf = new SparkConf().setAppName("testme");
    val sc = new SparkContext(conf);
    try {
      foo(sc);
    } finally {
      Thread.sleep(2000);
    }
  }

  def foo(sc: SparkContext) = {
    sc.addSparkListener(new SparkListener() {
      override def onTaskStart(e: SparkListenerTaskStart) = println(">>>>
onTaskStart");
      override def onTaskEnd(e: SparkListenerTaskEnd) = println(">>>>
onTaskEnd");
    });

     sc.parallelize(List(1, 2, 3)).map(i => throw new
SparkException("test")).collect();
  }
}

I'm running it from Eclipse on local[*].