Yes. Fair schedulwr only helps concurrency within an application.  With
multiple shells you'd either need something like Yarn/Mesos or careful math on
resources as you said

Sent on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy S®4.

<arunp.bigd...@gmail.com> </div><div>Date:04/22/2015  6:28 AM  (GMT-05:00)
across applications - Need suggestion </div><div>
--total-executor-cores to configure the resources allocated for each
application.  But, in a multi user environment, shells and applications are
being submitted by multiple users at the same time.  All users are requesting
resources with different properties.  At times, some users are not getting
resources of the cluster.

How to control resource usage in this case?  Please share any best practices
followed.

As per my understanding, Fair scheduler can used for scheduling tasks within an
application but not across multiple applications.  Is this correct?

Regards,

Arun