This is how i used to do it:

- Login to the ec2 cluster (master)
- Make changes to the spark, and build it.
- Stop the old installation of spark (sbin/stop-all.sh)
- Copy old installation conf/* to modified version's conf/
- Rsync modified version to all slaves
- do sbin/start-all.sh from the modified version.

You can also simply replace the assembly jar (on master and worker) with
the newly build jar if the versions are all same.

Thanks
Best Regards