textFile does reads all files in a directory.

We have modified the sparkstreaming code base to read nested files from S3,
you can check this function
<https://github.com/sigmoidanalytics/spark-modified/blob/8074620414df6bbed81ac855067600573a7b22ca/streaming/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/streaming/dstream/FileInputDStream.scala#L206>
which does that and implement something similar for your usecase.

Or if your job is just a batch job and you don't bother processing file by
file, then may be you can iterate over your list and create a sc.textFile
for each file entry and do the computing too. something like:

for(file <- fileNames){

 // Create sparkContext
 // do sc.textFile(file)
 // do your computing