I have used VoltDB and Spark. The use cases for the two are quite different.
VoltDB is intended for transactions and also supports queries on the
same(custom to voltdb) store. Spark(SQL) is NOT suitable for transactions; it
is designed for querying immutable data (which may exist in several different
forms of stores).