Hello,
  I am seeing this issue when starting the sparkR shell. Please note that I
have R version 2.14.1.

[root@vertica4 bin]# sparkR

R version 2.14.1 (2011-12-22)
Copyright (C) 2011 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

[Previously saved workspace restored]

Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) :
  could not find function ".getNamespace"
Error: unable to load R code in package 'SparkR'
During startup - Warning message:
package 'SparkR' in options("defaultPackages") was not found

Save workspace image? [y/n/c]: n
[root@vertica4 bin]#

Error: unable to load R code in package 'SparkR'
package 'SparkR' in options("defaultPackages") was not found

Do I need to install 3.x version of R for SparkR?

Regards,
Vikram