Update on performance of the new API: the new code using the
createDirectStream API ran overnight and when I checked the app state in
the morning, there were massive scheduling delays :(

Not sure why and haven't investigated a whole lot. For now, switched back
to the createStream API build of my app. Yes, for the record, this is with
CDH 5.4.1 and Spark 1.3.