You can create a SparkContext in your program and run it as a standalone
application without using spark-submit.

Here's something that will get you started:

   //Create SparkContext
    val sconf = new SparkConf()
      .setMaster("spark://spark-ak-master:7077")
      .setAppName("Test")
      .set("spark.cores.max", "12")
      .set("spark.executor.memory", "12g")

    val sc = new SparkContext(sconf)

    //This needs to be added or else will throw up class not found
exceptions
    sc.addJar("target/scala-2.10/yourprojectjar_2.10-1.0.jar")

Thanks
Best Regards