You can take a look at the smvPivot function in the SMV library (
https://github.com/TresAmigosSD/SMV ).  Should look for method "smvPivot" in
SmvDFHelper (
http://tresamigossd.github.io/SMV/scaladocs/index.html#org.tresamigos.smv.SmvDFHelper).
  You can also perform the pivot on a group-by-group basis.  See smvPivot and
smvPivotSum in SmvGroupedDataFunc
(http://tresamigossd.github.io/SMV/scaladocs/index.html#org.tresamigos.smv.SmvGroupedDataFunc).

Docs from smvPivotSum are copied below.  Note that you don't have to specify
the baseOutput columns, but if you don't, it will force an additional action on
the input data frame to build the cross products of all possible values in your
input pivot columns.

Perform a normal SmvPivot operation followed by a sum on all the output pivot
columns.
For example:
df.smvGroupBy("id").smvPivotSum(Seq("month", "product"))("count")("5_14_A",
"5_14_B", "6_14_A", "6_14_B")
and the following input:
Input
| id  | month | product | count |
| --- | ----- | ------- | ----- |
| 1   | 5/14  |   A     |   100 |
| 1   | 6/14  |   B     |   200 |
| 1   | 5/14  |   B     |   300 |
will produce the following output:
| id  | count_5_14_A | count_5_14_B | count_6_14_A | count_6_14_B |
| --- | ------------ | ------------ | ------------ | ------------ |
| 1   | 100          | 300          | NULL         | 200          |
pivotCols
The sequence of column names whose values will be used as the output pivot
column names.
valueCols
The columns whose value will be copied to the pivoted output columns.
baseOutput
The expected base output column names (without the value column prefix). The
user is required to supply the list of expected pivot column output names to
avoid and extra action on the input DataFrame just to extract the possible
pivot columns. if an empty sequence is provided, then the base output columns
will be extracted from values in the pivot columns (will cause an action on the
entire DataFrame!)

--
Ali
PS: shoot me an email if you run into any issues using SMV.