That's funny I didn't delete that answer!

I think I have two accounts crossing, here was the answer:

I don't know if this is going to help, but I agree that some of the docs
would lead one to believe that the Spark driver  or master is going to
spread your jars around for you. But there's other docs that seem to
contradict this, esp related to EC2 clusters.

I wrote a Stack Overflow answer dealing with a similar situation, see if it
helps:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23687081/spark-workers-unable-to-find-jar-on-ec2-cluster/34502774#34502774

Pay attention to this section about the spark-submit docs:

I must admit, as a limitation on this, it confuses me in the Spark docs that
for spark.executor.extraClassPath it says:

    Users typically should not need to set this option

I assume they mean most people will get the classpath out through a driver
config option. I know most of the docs for spark-submit make it should like
the script handles moving your code around the cluster but I think it only
moves the classpath around for you. For example is this line from  Launching
Applications with spark-submit
<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/submitting-applications.html#launching-applications-with-spark-submit>

explicitly says you have to move the jars yourself or make them "globally
available":

    application-jar: Path to a bundled jar including your application and
all dependencies. The URL must be globally visible inside of your cluster,
for instance, an hdfs:// path or a file:// path that is present on all
nodes.