Hi,

My two cents here.

Hadoop as I understand has two components namely HDFS (Hadoop Distributed
File System) and MapReduce.

Whatever we use I still think we need to store data on HDFS (excluding
standalones like MongoDB etc.). Now moving to MapReduce as the execution
engine that is replaced by TEZ (basically MapReduce with DAG) or with Spark
which uses in memory capabilities and DAG. MapReduce is the one moving
sideways.

To me Spark besides being versatile is a powerful tool. Remember tools are
just tools, not solutions so we can discuss this all day. Effectively I
would argue that with Spark as the front end tool with Hive and its
organisation for metadata plus HDFS as the storage layer, you have all
three components to create a powerful solution.

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com