With Structured Streaming ,Spark would provide apis over spark sql engine.
Its like once you have the structured stream and dataframe created out of
this , you can do ad-hoc querying on the DF , which means you are actually
querying the stram without having to store or transform.
I have not used it yet but seems it will be like start streaming data from
source  as son as you define it.

Thanks
Deepak

--