Is the exception on the driver or the executor?

To be clear, you're going to see a task fail if a partition changes
leader while the task is running, regardless of configuration
settings.  The task should be retried up the maxFailures though.

What are maxRetries and maxFailures set to?   How long does the leader
change take?  How many task retries happen during that time (assuming
it's an exception on the executor)?