It seems likely that you're running into
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-14489 - this occurs when the
test dataset in the train/test split contains users or items that were not
in the training set. Hence the model doesn't have computed factors for
those ids, and ALS 'transform' currently returns NaN for those ids. This in
turn results in NaN for the evaluator result.

I have a PR open on that issue that will hopefully address this soon.