Thanks Jared for your kind words. I don't think I am anywhere near there
yet :)

In general I subtract one character before getting to "CD". That is the way
debit from debit cards are marked in a Bank's statement.

I get out of bound error if -->
select(mySubstr($"transactiondescription",lit(0),instr($"transactiondescription",
"CD")-1)   fails with the length. So I did

ll_18740868.where($"transactiontype" === "DEB" && $"transactiondescription"
> "
").select(mySubstr($"transactiondescription",lit(0),instr($"transactiondescription",
"CD")-1),$"debitamount").collect.foreach(println)

which basically examines if the value of $"transactiondescription" > "  "
then do the substring

Now are there better options than that, say make UDF handle the error
when length($"transactiondescription" < 2 or it is null etc and returns
something to avoid the program crashing?

Thanks again for your help.

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com