Hi Sam,Yup. It seems it stalls when broadcasting. CPU goes to 100%, but there's
no progress. The spark UI doesn't even show up.
-Ashic.

From: samkiller....@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 16:21:27 +0200
Subject: Re: Spark join and large temp files
To: as...@live.com
CC: deepakmc...@gmail.com; user@spark.apache.org

Have you tried to broadcast your small table table in order to perform your
join ?
joined = bigDF.join(broadcast(smallDF, ....)

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Ashic Mahtab <as...@live.com> wrote:

Hi Deepak,No...not really. Upping the disk size is a solution, but more
expensive as you can't attach EBS volumes to EMR clusters configured with data
pipelines easily (which is what we're doing). I've tried collecting the 1.5G
dataset in a hashmap, and broadcasting. Timeouts seems to prevent that (even
after upping the max driver result size). Increasing partition counts didn't
help (the shuffle used up the temp space). I'm now looking at some form of
clever broadcasting, or maybe falling back to chunking up the input, producing
interim output, and unioning them for the final output. Might even try using
Spark Streaming pointing to the parquet and seeing if that helps.
-Ashic.