Thanks Sean,

I was under impression that spark creators are trying to persuade user
community not to use RDD api directly. Spark summit I attended was full of
this. So I am a bit surprised that I hear use-rdd-api as an advice from
you. But if this is a way then I have a second question. For conversion
from dataset to rdd I would use Dataset.rdd lazy val. Since it is a lazy
val it suggests there is some computation going on to create rdd as a copy.
The question is how much computationally expansive is this conversion? If
there is a significant overhead then it is clear why one would want to have
top method directly on Dataset class.

Ordering whole dataset only to take first 10 or so top records is not
really an acceptable option for us. Comparison function can be expansive
and the size of dataset is (unsurprisingly) big.

To be honest I do not really understand what do you mean by b). Since
DataFrame is now only an alias for Dataset[Row] what do you mean by
"DataFrame-like counterpart"?

Thanks