I'm trying to figure out a way to group by and return the top 100 records
in that group.

Something like:

SELECT TOP(100, user_id) FROM posts GROUP BY user_id;

But I can't really figure out the best way to do this...

There is a FIRST and LAST aggregate function but this only returns one
column.

I could do something like:

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE user_id IN ( /* select top users here */ ) LIMIT
100;

But that limit is applied for ALL the records. Not each individual user.

The only other thing I can think of is to do a manual map reduce and then
have the reducer only return the top 100 each time...

Would LOVE some advice here...

--

We’re hiring if you know of any awesome Java Devops or Linux Operations
Engineers!

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*
blog: http://burtonator.wordpress.com