Hi michael,Well for nested structs, I saw in the tests the behaviour defined by
SPARK-12512 for the "a.b.c" handling in withColumn, and even if it's not ideal
for me, I managed to make it work anyway like that :> df.withColumn("a",
struct(struct(myUDF(df("a.b.c.")))) // I didn't put back the aliases but you see
what I mean.
What I'd like to make work in essence is something like that> val someFunc :
String => String = ???> val myUDF = udf(someFunc)> df.withColumn("a.b[*].c",
myUDF(df("a.b[*].c"))) // the fact is that in order to be consistent with the
previous API, maybe I'd have to put something like a struct(array(struct(… which
would be troublesome because I'd have to parse the arbitrary input string  and
create something like "a.b[*].c" => struct(array(struct(
I realise the ambiguity implied in the kind of column expression, but it doesn't
seem for now available to cleanly update data inplace at an arbitrary depth.
I'll try to work on a PR that would make this possible, but any pointers would
be appreciated.
Regards,
Olivier.

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 12:42 AM, Michael Armbrust mich...@databricks.com