I have not found matrix inversion algorithms in Spark and I would be
surprised to see them.  Except for matrices with very special structure
(like those nearly the identity), inverting and n*n matrix is slower than
O(n^2), which does not scale.  Whenever a matrix is inverted, usually a
decomposition or a low rank approximation is used, just as Sean pointed
out.  See further
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_complexity_of_mathematical_operations#Matrix_algebra

or if you really want to dig into it
Stoer and Bulirsch http://www.springer.com/us/book/9780387954523