On 29 Sep 2016, at 10:37, Olivier Girardot
<o.girar...@lateral-thoughts.com<mailto:o.girar...@lateral-thoughts.com>> wrote:

I know that the code itself would not be the same, but it would be useful to at
least have the pom/build.sbt transitive dependencies different when fetching
the artifact with a specific classifier, don't you think ?
For now I've overriden them myself using the dependency versions defined in the
pom.xml of spark.
So it's not a blocker issue, it may be useful to document it, but a blog post
would be sufficient I think.

The problem here is that it's not directly something that maven repo is set up
to deal with. What could be done would be to publish multiple pom-only
artifacts, spark-scala-2.11-hadoop-2.6.pom which would declare the transitive
stuff appropriately for the right version. You wouldn't need to actually
rebuild everything, just declare a dependency on the spark 2.2 artifacts
excluding all of hadoop 2.2, pulling in 2.6.

This wouldn't even need to be an org.apache.spark artifact, just something any
can build and publish under their own name.

Volunteers?