To add, I see that Databricks has been busy integrating deep learning more into
their product and put out a new article about this.

https://databricks.com/blog/2016/10/27/gpu-acceleration-in-databricks.html
<https://databricks.com/blog/2016/10/27/gpu-acceleration-in-databricks.html>

An interesting tidbit is at the bottom of the article mentioning TensorFrames.

https://github.com/databricks/tensorframes
<https://github.com/databricks/tensorframes>

Seems like an interesting direction…

Cheers,