Hi
  not a Linux expert.... but how did you installed Spark ? as a root user?
The error above seems to indicate you dont have permissions to access that
directory. If you have full control of the host  you can try to do a chmod
777 to the directory where you installed Spark and its subdirs

Anwyay, my 2 cents here
2 options for  installing Spark

1 - get the zipped version, unpack it anywhere you want (even in ur home
folder).set the SPARK_HOME variable to where you installed it, then go to
the <SPARK_HOME>/bin  and launch spark-shell   (i am *guessing* this might
rely on having Scala installed on ur host)

2 - build it from source. Might take a littletime longer, but  if you do it
this way Spark will download Scala for you  For that, try the following
commands in ur Linux (i have built Spk on Ubuntu...so there might be some
tweaks you need to do it to get it working on ur Linxu version)

# Install Git (Ubuntu)
apt-get install -y git
# Getting Spark
git clone git://github.com/apache/spark.git
# Buil Spark
./build/mvn -Pyarn  -DskipTests clean package
# Export variables to spark home and spark's bin directory
export SPARK_HOME="/spark"                 # This  is the directory where
you installed spark
export PATH="$SPARK_HOME/bin:${PATH}"

Please note that on my small laptop zinc(used by Spark to speed up the
compilation) somehow gets jammed, so i have to split the ./build/mvn comman
into two:
1. ./build/mvn -Pyarn -DskipTests clean compile and
2../build/mvn -Pyarn -DskipTests package

hope this helps. good luck

kr
 Marco