Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your contributions to bring us new technologies.

I don't want to waste your time, so before I write to you, I googled, checked
stackoverflow and mailing list archive with keywords "streaming" and "jdbc".
But I was not able to get any solution to my use case. I hope I can get some
clarification from you.

The use case is quite straightforward, I need to harvest a relational database
via jdbc, do something with data, and store result into Kafka. I am stuck at
the first step, and the difficulty is as follows:

1. The database is too large to ingest with one thread.
2. The database is dynamic and time series data comes in constantly.

Then an ideal workflow is that multiple workers process partitions of data
incrementally according to a time window. For example, the processing starts
from the earliest data with each batch containing data for one hour. If data
ingestion speed is faster than data production speed, then eventually the
entire database will be harvested and those workers will start to "tail" the
database for new data streams and the processing becomes real time.

With Spark SQL I can ingest data from a JDBC source with partitions divided by
time windows, but how can I dynamically increment the time windows during
execution? Assume that there are two workers ingesting data of 2017-01-01 and
2017-01-02, the one which finishes quicker gets next task for 2017-01-03. But I
am not able to find out how to increment those values during execution.

Then I looked into Structured Streaming. It looks much more promising because
window operations based on event time are considered during streaming, which
could be the solution to my use case. However, from documentation and code
example I did not find anything related to streaming data from a growing
database. Is there anything I can read to achieve my goal?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Best regards,
Yang