From: Nicholas Hakobian [mailto:nicholas.hakob...@rallyhealth.com]
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2016 5:50 PM
To: Sesterhenn, Mike
Cc: ayan guha; user@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: Best way to process lookup ETL with Dataframes

Yep, sequential joins is what I have done in the past with similar requirements.

Splitting and merging DataFrames is most likely killing performance if you do
not cache the DataFrame pre-split. If you do, it will compute the lineage prior
to the cache statement once (at first invocation), then use the cached result
to perform the additional join, then union the results. Without the cache, you
are most likely computing the full lineage twice, all the way back to the raw
data import and having double the read I/O.

The most optimal path will most likely depend on the size of the tables you are
joining to. If both are small (compared to the primary data source) and can be
broadcasted, doing the sequential join will most likely be the easiest and most
efficient approach. If one (or both) of the tables you are joining to are
significantly large enough that they cannot be efficiently broadcasted, going
through the join / cache / split / second join / union path is likely to be
faster. It also depends on how much memory you can dedicate to caching...the
possibilities are endless.

I tend to approach this type of problem by weighing the cost of extra
development time for a more complex join vs the extra execution time vs
frequency of execution. For something that will execute daily (or more
frequently) the cost of more development to have faster execution time (even if
its only 2x faster) might be worth it.

It might also be worth investigating if a newer version of Spark (1.6 at the
least, or 2.0 if possible) is feasible to install. There are lots of
performance improvements in those versions, if you have the option of upgrading.

-Nick

Nicholas Szandor Hakobian, Ph.D.
Senior Data Scientist
Rally Health
nicholas.hakob...@rallyhealth.com<mailto:nicholas.hakob...@rallyhealth.com>

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Sesterhenn, Mike