Which Spark version are you using? If you are using 2.1.0, could you use
the monitoring APIs (
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/structured-streaming-programming-guide.html#monitoring-streaming-queries)
to check the input rate and the processing rate? One possible issue is that
the Kafka source launched a pretty large batch and it took too long to
finish it. If so, you can use "maxOffsetsPerTrigger" option to limit the
data size in a batch in order to observe the progress.