However, I see some JIRAs are assigned to someone time to time. Were those
mistakes or would you mind if I ask when someone is assigned?

When I started to contribute to Spark few years ago, I was confused by this
and I am pretty sure some guys are still confused.

I do usually say something like "it is generally not in that way" too when
I am asked but I find myself unable to explain further.