Can’t you cache the token vault in a caching solution , such as Ignite? The
lookup of single tokens would be really fast.
About what volumes one talks about?

I assume you refer to PCI DSS, so security might be an important aspect which
might be not that easy to achieve with vault-less tokenization. Then, with
vault-less tokenization you need to recalculate all tokens  in case the secret
is compromised.
There might be other compliance requirements , which may need to be weighted by
the users.