Hi, Ashish.

You are correct in saying that not *all* functionality of Spark is
spill-to-disk but I am not sure how this pertains to a "concurrent user
scenario". Each executor will run in its own JVM and is therefore isolated
from others. That is, if the JVM of one user dies, this should not effect
another user who is running their own jobs in their own JVMs. The amount of
resources used by a user can be controlled by the resource manager.

AFAIK, you configure something like YARN to limit the number of cores and
the amount of memory in the cluster a certain user or group is allowed to
use for their job. This is obviously quite a coarse-grained approach as (to
my knowledge) IO is not throttled. I believe people generally use something
like Apache Ambari to keep an eye on network and disk usage to mitigate
problems in a shared cluster.

If the user has badly designed their query, it may very well fail with
OOMEs but this can happen irrespective of whether one user or many is using
the cluster at a given moment in time.

Does this help?

Regards,

Phillip