I am trying to write a Spark program that reads data from HBase and store
it in DataFrame.

I am able to run it perfectly with hbase-site.xml in the $SPARK_HOME/conf
folder, but I am facing few issues here.

Issue 1

The first issue is passing hbase-site.xml location with the --files
parameter submitted through client mode (it works in cluster mode).

When I removed hbase-site.xml from $SPARK_HOME/conf and tried to execute it
in client mode by passing with the --files parameter over YARN I keep
getting the an exception (which I think means it is not taking the
ZooKeeper configuration from hbase-site.xml.

spark-submit \

  --master yarn \

  --deploy-mode client \

  --files /home/siddesh/hbase-site.xml \

  --class com.orzota.rs.json.HbaseConnector \

  --packages com.hortonworks:shc:1.0.0-2.0-s_2.11 \

  --repositories http://repo.hortonworks.com/content/groups/public/ \

  target/scala-2.11/test-0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

    at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:1125)

18/02/22 01:43:09 INFO ClientCnxn: Opening socket connection to server
localhost/0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1:2181. Will not attempt to authenticate using SASL
(unknown error)

18/02/22 01:43:09 WARN ClientCnxn: Session 0x0 for server null, unexpected
error, closing socket connection and attempting reconnect

        at
sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(SocketChannelImpl.java:717)

        at
org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxnSocketNIO.doTransport(ClientCnxnSocketNIO.java:361)

        at
org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:1125)

However it works good when I run it in cluster mode.

Issue 2

Passing the HBase configuration details through the Spark session, which I
can't get to work in both client and cluster mode.

Instead of passing the entire hbase-site.xml I am trying to add the
configuration directly in the code by adding it as a configuration
parameter in the SparkSession, e.g.:

val spark = SparkSession

  .builder()

  .appName(name)

  .config("hbase.zookeeper.property.clientPort", "2181")

  .config("hbase.zookeeper.quorum", "ip1,ip2,ip3")

  .config("spark.hbase.host","zookeeperquorum")

  .getOrCreate()

val json_df =

  spark.read.option("catalog",catalog_read).

  format("org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.hbase").

  load()

This is not working in cluster mode either.

Can anyone help me with a solution or explanation why this is happening are
there any workarounds?