Hi Community,

Seeing the below message in the logs and Spark application is getting
terminated. There is an issue with our Kafka service and it auto restarts
during which leader reelection happens.

*Exception:*
assertion failed: Beginning offset 34242088 is after the ending offset
34242084 for topic <topic_name> partition 2. You either provided an invalid
fromOffset, or the Kafka topic has been damaged.

After analyzing it, I understand that the problem is that the Spark consumer
has an earliest offset which it processed and Kafka returns an old offset
(correct me if I am wrong). Is this behavior intended? Is there a way we can
handle these situations without letting the app die?

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ravi