If you have already a lot of queries then it makes sense to look at Hive (in a
recent version)+TEZ+Llap and all tables in ORC format partitioned and sorted on
filter columns. That would be the most easiest way and can improve performance
significantly .

If you want to use Spark, eg because you want to use additional features and it
could become part of your strategy justifying the investment:
* hive on Spark - I don’t think it is as much used as the above combination. I
am also not sure if it supports recent Spark versions and all Hive features. It
would also not really allow you to use Spark features beyond Hive features .
Basically you just set a different engine in Hive and execute the queries as
you do now.
* spark.sql : you would have to write all your Hive queries as Spark queries
and potentially integrate or rewrite HiveUdfs. Given that you can use
HiveContext to execute queries it may not require so much effort to rewrite
then. The pushdown possibilities are available in Spark. You have to write
Spark programs to execute queries. There are some servers that you can connect
to using SQL queries but their maturity varies.

In the end you have to make an assessment of all your queries and investigate
if they can be executed using either of the options