> Not sure if the dynamic overwrite logic is implemented in Spark or in Hive

AFAIK I'm using spark implementation(s). Does the thread dump that I posted
show that? I'd like to remain within Spark impl.

What I'm trying to ask is, do you spark developers see some ways to
optimize this?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you mean by this:

> There is a probably a limit in the number of element you can pass in the
list of partitions for the listPartitionsWithAuthInfo API call

That request takes a "max" argument, which is just a limit. The type is
short, so max size per response is 32767. Any way, even with this single
request & response it already takes that 5 minutes.