Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the current state and the future plans of custom
data sources in Structured Streaming.

So for DStreams we could write a Receiver as documented. Can this be used
with Structured Streaming?

Then we had the DataSource API with DefaultSource et. al. which was (in my
opinion) never properly documented.

With Spark 2.3 we got a new DataSourceV2 (which also was a marker
interface), also not properly documented.

Now with Spark 3 this seems to change again? (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-25390), at least the
DataSourceV2 interface is gone, still no documentation but still called v2
somehow?

Can anyone shed some light on the current state of data sources & sinks for
batch & streaming in Spark 2.4 and 3.x?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Lars